Saturday, August 28, 2021

Xanodria - the Beginning

 So let's talk about LARPing.

I do a larp called Xanodria. (www.xanodria.com) (I will admit it's a terrible website.

It started in 1995, when Xanodria introduced a 1920's horror game.  Truth be told, dressing up in medieval clothing sounded a bit ridiculous, but doing a LARP based on H.P. Lovecraft?  I could wear a suit. That would feel less ridiculous.

And thus the character Arnold Nido was born. He started out as a pulp fiction writer who fainted at the sight of blood. (He fainted a lot at first.) I eventually convinced my friend to come as Nido's bodyguard with a character named Frederick Constantine. We had great fun 

While we were playing that, we realized that the players of the medieval fantasy LARP were playing NPCs in the horror game, so I decided to return the favor my being NPCs in the fantasy games.  From there the addiction progressed to actually being the GM of some games, and eventually running the company.(and at one point running just the Fantasy game).

Eventually the world ended, as a good cosmic horror campaign should.  At the same time I was getting married and decided to step away from the LARP for a while. It would be about 8 years before I came back, this time as a PC in the fantasy game. But more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ugly Cry Reading the Sandman (SPOILERS)

Hello.  It's been a while but sometimes I depserately need my voice here, other times not so much.  Things have been busy with my family...